Before You Choose Your Blogging Software, Ask Yourself These Six Questions
1. What Are Your Goals for Your Blog?
Do you want to blog for fun or are you trying to make money or build a popular, highly-trafficked blog? The blogging software you choose is largely dependent upon your goals for your blog. Ask yourself the following questions to determine your goals for your blog:
- How much space will you need to store your blog’s images and content?
- Do you want to display ads on your blog?
- Do you want to add forums and other features to your blog?
2. Do You Need to Significantly Customize Your Blog’s Design?
Blogging software varies in terms of its ability to allow bloggers to customize the appearance and layout of their blogs with logos, specific fonts, designs and more. It’s important that you determine the amount of customization you want and need for your blog before you select your blogging software.
3. Are You or Is Someone You Know Technical?
Different blogging software platforms require varying amounts of technical skill and knowledge. While there are blogging software options that even the most technically-challenged people can navigate and use successfully, many of the blogging software packages that provide advanced customization and features require at least some technical ability.
4. Will Your Blog Have Multiple Authors?
Some blogging software platforms are easier to configure with multiple authors than others. Determine your author needs before you choose your blogging software.
5. Do You Need Custom Email Addresses Tied to Your Blog’s Domain Name?
If you want to have email addresses customized to match your blog’s domain name than your blogging software options are more limited. Even if this is something you may not need in the short term, it’s important to think about it now before you choose your blogging software.
6. Do You Have Money to Spend Each Month on Blogging Software and a Blog Host?
Your budget will have a significant impact on the blogging software you choose. While there are many free blogging software platforms available online, those free blogging programs typically offer limited features. Although those limited features are usually adequate for the average blogger, they may not be enough for your blog depending on your long term goals for it.